Monday, August 24, 2009

Band Insider

Former CPH band member helps out SOH
by Jasmine Straw

One of our band's coaches, Michael Estes, tells Raiders Digest what makes him tick. Okay, not really... But he does tell us what he thought at first and how he feels about this year's band.

RD: Why'd you decide to help Mrs. Clark with coaching our school instead of helping out with a band that's much closer to your heart?

MRE: I decided to help Mrs. Clark Because I had told her that I would help her with whatever band she worked with, and there is no longer another band close to my heart, because the band I marched with is no longer the same band.

RD: I understand that you at first didn't want to help us out, what made you change your mind?

MRE: You have to understand the reason I did not want to originally work with the band was because I had been determined to bring Mrs. Clark back to my old school, but once I met all the students, and saw all the determination that they had, I noticed that there is no chance I would want to work for another school.

RD:How has it been helping this school's band so far?

MRE: I love working with the band here! It' amazing how much everyone has learned, and the band is almost 6 times as big as when we started this year.

RD: What are your expectations for this band and their color guard?

MRE: If the band and color guard stay on the path they are on now, there is nothing that will stop them from winning whatever they decide to compete for. The one thing that decides if a band wins or loses in its members dedication and how much they want to win.

RD: Do you think this year would be difficult, knowing our past reputation?
MRE: This year will go by a lot easier then most people think as long as their idea of the band "sucking" disappears. The members all have faith in themselves, as well as the group they are in to push themselves to a higher level.

RD:What do you think of the field show choice and theme?

MRE: The field show theme this year fits the changing attitude that we feel will happen within the band, as well as the school. Titling our show as "A New Hope", is embodies the very faith that we have in the band and how we feel we are giving a chance for them to reach their potential.

RD: What things in your past give you the experience needed to coach a band?

MRE: My musical experience includes playing clarinet for 6 years now, and being in marching band for 5. I've also done many honor bands, including taking one of the 40 spots in the national honor band, beating out hundreds of other applicants. I've also had experience teaching from tutoring other students in music while I was in high school.

2 comments: